Genuine Parts Company and our subsidiaries (“GPC,” “we,” “us,” or “our”), want you to be informed about our data protection practices. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) is designed to help you understand how we collect, use, process, and share your personal information when you interact with us, visit our websites (“Sites”), use our mobile applications (“Apps”), or participate in any other online services we offer (collectively “Services”), and to help you understand and exercise your privacy rights.
Please Note: The Sites and Apps displaying this Notice may display trademarks, logos, service marks,and other trade names owned by GPC subsidiaries or other parties (“GPC IP"). This Notice does not apply to any personal information that we process onbehalf of independently-owned and operated stores that license GPC IP (“Participating Stores”) through our commercial relationships with them, or their use of our services (“Participating Store Data”). Our processing of Participating Store Data is governed by the contracts that we have in place with our Participating Stores, not this Notice. Our Participating Stores’respective privacy policies govern their collection and use of your personal data and any questions or requests you may have relating to data that our Participating Stores collect from our about you should be directed to them.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The categories of personal information we collect depend on how you interact with us, our Services, and the requirements of applicable law. We collect information that you provide to us, information we obtain automatically when you use our Services, and information from other sources such as third-party services and organizations, as described below. For residents of certain jurisdictions, additional disclosures about the information we collect is available in our supplemental disclosure below.
Personal Information You Provide to Us Directly
We may collect personal information that you provide to us in a few ways, for example:
- Account Creation. We may collect personal information when you create an account or register with us through one of our Sites, Apps or if you create an account with us in conjunction with a visit to a Participating Store. Information we may collect includes personal information such as name, email address, username, mobile phone number, and birthday month and day, and information about your vehicle such as Vehicle Information Number that we may associate with you and your account.
- Purchases. We may collect personal information and details associated with your purchases, including payment information, the location of a Participating Store if you are picking up an online order, and if applicable and at your election, membership information in organizations that qualify you for discounts or other privileges. Any payments made via our Services are processed by third-party payment processors. We do not directly collect or store any payment card information entered through our Services, but we may receive information associated with your purchase (for example, if you made a purchase and how much you spent).
- Your Communications with Us. We may collectpersonal information, such as name, email address, phone number, or mailingaddress when you request information about our Services, register for ournewsletter, request customer or technical support, or otherwise communicatewith us through email, text, chat, or voice calls with our customer serviceassociates.
- Surveys. We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, we may collect personal information from you in connection with the survey.
- Chat and Other Interactive Features. We andothers who use our Services may collect personal information that you submit ormake available through interactive features such as messaging and chatfeatures, or commenting functionalities, forums, blogs, and social media pages.Any information you provide using the public sharing features of the Serviceswill be considered “public,” unless otherwise required by applicable law, andis not subject to the privacy protections referenced herein.
- Loyalty Programs. We may offer loyalty or other promotional programs for interested customers. For example, if you are a frequent purchaser and you enroll in one of our loyalty programs (“Loyalty Program”) we may offer discounts, promotional items, or credit in connection with your purchases or other activities described in the terms applicable to the Loyalty Program (“Program Terms”). The personal information you provide when you sign up for the Program is used to keep track of your purchases and administer the Loyalty Program pursuant to the Program Terms.
- Promotional Activities. We may collect personal information you provide to participate in promotions we offer from time to time, such as sweepstakes or contests. In some jurisdictions, we are required to publicly share identifying information of sweepstakes and contest winners.
- Conferences, Trade Shows, and Other Events. We may collect personal information from individuals who elect to provide it to us when we attend or host conferences, trade shows, and other events.
- Business Development and Strategic Partnerships. We may collect personal information from individuals and third parties to assess and pursue potential business opportunities.
- Job Applications and Recruiting. If you apply for a job with any of our companies, we may collect information that will be used to assess your skills, qualifications, and interests to determine alignment with career opportunities with us or our affiliates and to communicate with you regarding the status of your application. If you are offered and you accept a position with one of our organizations, your application data may become part of your worker file. Details about how we handle your personal information as an applicant or worker may be explained in the applicable applicant and worker notice provided to you, unless this Notice is shown at the time your personal information is collected.
Personal Information Collected Automatically
We may collect personal information automatically when you use our Services.
- Automatic Collection of Personal Information. We may collect certain information automatically when you use our Services, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, browser or device information, location information (including approximate location derived from IP address), and Internet service provider. We may also automatically collect information regarding your use of our Services, such as pages that you visit before, during and after using our Services, information about the links you click, the types of content you interact with, the frequency and duration of your activities, and other information about how you use our Services.
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in device browsers that store preferences and facilitate and enhance your experience.
- Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded in our Services that collects information about engagement on our Services. The use of a pixel tag allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement. We may also include web beacons in e-mails to understand whether messages have been opened, acted on, or forwarded.
- Categories of Technologies. Our uses of these Technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Strictly Necessary. This includes Technologies that allow you access to our Services, applications, and tools that are required to identify irregular website behavior, prevent fraudulent activity, improve security, or allow you to make use of functionalities we make available through our Sites or Services.
- Functionality-Related. We may use Technologies that allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our Services. This may include identifying you when you sign into our Services or keeping track of your specified preferences, interests, or past items viewed.
- Social Media Platforms. Our Services may contain social media buttons, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube, which might include widgets such as the “share this” button or other interactive mini programs. These features may collect personal information such as your IP address, the page you are visiting on our Services, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Your interactions with these platforms are governed by the privacy policies and terms of the social media companies providing them.
- Verification Providers. We use third-party services across our applications to mitigate brute force logins as a means of spam protection. When you fill in certain forms, the service may evaluate various information (e.g., IP address, how long the visitor has been on the app, mouse movements) to detect if the activity is from an automated program instead of a human. We retain these data via our service provider for use in spam mitigation.
Personal Information Collected from Other Sources
We may obtain personal information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations. For example, if you access our Services through a third-party application, such as an app store, a third-party login service, or a social networking site, we may collect personal information about you from that third-party application that you have made available via your privacy settings.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your personal information for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, for administrative purposes, and to market our products and Services, as described below.
Provide Our Services
We use your information to fulfil our contracts with you and provide our Services, such as:
- Managing your information and accounts;
- Providing access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
- Answering requests for customer or technical support;
- Communicating with you about your account, activities on our Services, your participation in our Loyalty Programs or other promotional offers;
- Communicating with you about other policy changes;
- Processing and completing your transactions, including order confirmation, billing, enrollment in our loyalty or other programs and delivering products or Services, and
- Allowing you to register for events.
Administrative and Legal Purposes
We use your information for various administrative purposes, such as:
- Pursuing our legitimate interests such as direct marketing, research and development (including marketing research), network and information security, and fraud prevention;
- Interacting with you if you contact us as a vendor or on behalf of another business;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Measuring interest and engagement in our Services;
- Short-term, transient use, such as contextual customization of ads;
- Improving, upgrading, or enhancing our Services;
- Developing new products and services;
- Ensuring internal quality control and safety;
- Authenticating and verifying individual identities, including requests to exercise your rights under this Notice;
- Alerting you about a product safety announcement or recall or correction of an offer, promotion, or advertisement;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors with our Services;
- Auditing relating to interactions, transactions, and other compliance activities;
- Sharing personal information with third parties as needed to provide the Services;
- Enforcing our agreements and policies;
- Carrying out activities that are required to comply with our legal obligations, and
- For our legitimate business purposes as permitted by law.
Marketing and Advertising our Products and Services
We may use your personal information to tailor your experience with our Services and to provide you with content and advertisements as permitted by applicable law. Some of the ways we may market to you include email campaigns, text messages, custom audience advertising, and “interest-based” or “personalized advertising,” including through cross-device tracking.
If you have any questions about our marketing practices or if you would like to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes, you can learn more about your choices in the “YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS” section of this Notice or Contact Us.
With Your Consent
We may use personal information for other purposes that are clearly disclosed to you at the time you provide personal information or with your consent.
We also use your personal information for other purposes as requested by you or as permitted by applicable law, or to create de-identified, aggregated or anonymized information. If we create or receive de-identified information, we will not attempt to reidentify such information, except to comply with applicable law.
HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We disclose your personal information to third parties for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, to protect us or others, or in the event of a major business transaction such as a merger, sale, or asset transfer, as described below.
Disclosures to Provide our Services
The categories of third parties with whom we may share your personal information are described below.
- ServiceProviders. We may share your personal information with our third-partyservice providers and vendors that assist us with the provision of ourServices. This includes service providers and vendors that provide us with ITsupport, hosting, payment processing, chat and other customer servicefunctions, and related services.
- Business Partners. We may share your personal information with business partners to provide you with a product or service you have requested. We may also share your personal information with business partners with whom we jointly offer products or services.
- Affiliates. We may share your personal information with our affiliates for example: for our administrative purposes, IT management, or for them to provide services to you or support and supplement the Services we provide.
- Other Users or Third Parties You Share or Interact With. As described above in “PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT,” our Services may allow you to share personal information or interact with third parties (including individuals and third parties who do not use our Services and the public).
- Advertising Partners. Through our Services, we may share your personal information with third-party advertising partners. These third-party advertising partners may set Technologies and other tracking tools on our Services to collect information regarding your activities and your device (e.g., your IP address, cookie identifiers, page(s) visited, location, time of day). These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other services) for purposes of delivering personalized advertisements to you when you visit digital properties within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising,” “cross-contextual behavioral advertising,” or “personalized advertising.” The categories of data we may share and may have shared for the purpose of providing cross contextual advertising and targeted advertising include: online identifiers such as IP address, marketing id, device identifiers and characteristics; internet or other electronic network activity, such as browsing and usage information; and, inferences about individual preferences, characteristics, and behaviors.
- APIs/SDKs. We may use third-party application program interfaces (“APIs”) and software development kits (“SDKs”) as part of the functionality of our Services. For more information about our use of APIs and SDKs, please Contact Us.
We may also share your information with third parties as appropriate and permitted by law. The privacy choices you may have about your personal information are determined by applicable law and are described in the " YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS" Section of this Notice.
Disclosures to Protect Our Company or Others
We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our, or others’ rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
Disclosure in the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction, as permitted by law and/or contract.
YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS
Your Privacy Choices and Rights. The privacy choices you may have about your personal information are determined by applicable law and are described below.
- Email Communications. If you receive an unwanted email from us, you can use the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of the email to opt out of receiving future emails. Note that you will continue to receive transaction-related emails regarding products or Services you have requested. We may also send you certain non-promotional communications regarding us and our Services, and you will not be able to opt out of those communications (e.g., communications regarding our Services or updates to our Terms or this or other legal Notice(s)).
- Text Messages. If you receive an unwanted text message from us, you may opt out of receiving future text messages from us by following the instructions in the text message you have received from us or by Contacting Us.
- Mobile Devices. If you enable push notifications from our mobile application, we may contact you via push notifications through our mobile application. You may opt out from receiving these push notifications by changing the settings on your mobile device. With your consent, we may also collect precise location-based information via our mobile application. You may opt out of this collection by changing the settings on your mobile device.
- Live Chat. If you visit our Sites or use our Apps you may request customer service using a live chat feature. Chats are user-initiated and session-based and you can discontinue a chat you initiate at any time.
- Phone calls. If you receive an unwanted phone call from us, you may opt out of receiving future phone calls from us by following the instructions which may be available on the call or by Contacting Us.
- “Do Not Track.” Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
- Opt-Out Preference Signals. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may opt out by broadcasting an Opt-Out Preference Signal, such as the Global Privacy Control (“GPC”) on browsers and browser extensions that support such a signal. To download and use a browser supporting the GPC browser signal, please visit: https://globalprivacycontrol.org/orgs. If you choose to use the GPC signal, you will need to turn it on for each supported browser or browser extension you use.
- Cookies and Personalized Advertising. You may stop or restrict the placement of certain Technologies on your device or remove them by adjusting your preferences through the Cookie Banner on the website you are visiting from, or as your device permits. However, if you adjust your preferences, our Services may not work properly. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, you may opt-out of personalized advertisements on some mobile applications by following the instructions for Android, iOS, and others. The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these and learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, the European Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada. Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device.
- Loyalty Programs. You can delete your account and cancel your participation in any Loyalty Program by signing into your account and reviewing the Program Terms. For certain Loyalty Programs, you mayalso request to opt-out by contacting the Program Administrator as instructedin the applicable Program Terms.
- Request to Know. You may have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you any or all of the following, as requested by you: the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you; the categories of personal information we collected about you; the categories of sources from which we collect personal information about you; the categories of personal information that we have disclosed about you for a business purpose; the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information for a business purpose; and, our business or commercial purpose for collecting personal information.
- Request to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete, as applicable) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
- Request Correction of your personal information where it is inaccurate or incomplete. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools that enable you to update your personal information.
- Request Restriction of or Opt-out of our processing of your personal information where the processing of your personal information involves processing or sharing your sensitive personal information for certain purposes, or processing of your personal information for purposes of profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning you.
- Withdraw your Consent to our processing of your personal information. Please note that your withdrawal will only take effect for future processing and will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
- No Discrimination. You have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any privacy rights conferred by applicable laws.
CONTACT US /YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you have any questions about our privacy practices or this Notice, or to exercise your rights as detailed in this Notice, we can be reached in the following ways:
We will process such requests in accordance with applicable laws.
- Verification Methods. Once you submit a request, we will verify that you are the consumer to which the request pertains by matching the identifying information provided by you (e.g., name, email address, account-related information) to the information we maintain. Depending on the type of request you submit, we will attempt to match either two or three of the data points you provided. If we are unable to verify your request with the data points you provided, we may reach out to you for additional information to verify your request.
- Authorized Agent. You can select an “authorized agent” to submit requests on your behalf. We will require the authorized agent to have a written authorization confirming that authority. We may also require you to verify your own identity directly with us. Once your authorized agent is verified, they may submit a request in the typical way described above.
- Appeal. You may have the right to appeal our decision or response to your request. To exercise your right to appeal, you can submit and appeal request using the same method used to submit your original request, including by contacting us as described in this Notice.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely and in accordance with this Notice. Unfortunately, no system is 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, we do not accept liability for unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or loss of personal information.
By using our Services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of our Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on our Services, by mail, or by sending an email to you.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We store personal information we collect as described in this Notice for as long as you use our Services, or as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected, provide our Services, resolve disputes, establish legal defenses, conduct audits, pursue legitimate business purposes, enforce our agreements, and comply with applicable laws. Additionally, we endeavor to retain all such personal information in accordance with legal requirements.
SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE FOR RESIDENTS OF CERTAIN U.S. STATES AND CALIFORNIA NOTICE AT COLLECTION
This Supplemental Notice is for residents of states that have adopted comprehensive privacy legislation and others that may come into effect from time to time (collectively, “Applicable State Laws”). The following table describes the categories of personal information we have collected and whether we have disclosed that personal information for a business purpose (e.g., to a service provider).
|Category of Personal Information Collected||Category of Third Parties Personal Information is Disclosed to for a Business Purpose|
Identifiers.A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
Personal information categoriesA name, signature, address, telephone number, driver's license or state identification card number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information. Note: Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
Commercial informationRecords of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
Internet or other electronic network activityBrowsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
Geolocation dataPhysical location.
Sensory dataAudio information.
The categories of sources from which we collect personal information and our business and commercial purposes for using personal information are set forth in “PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT” and “HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION” above, respectively.
“Sales” of Personal Information
Residents of certain states have the right to opt out of the “sale” of their personal information. A “sale” is defined broadly and includes the transfer of personal information by a business to a third party for valuable consideration (even if there is no exchange of money). We do not sell personal information as the term is commonly understood but may share personal information with third-party advertising partners for the purpose of promoting our Services as described above, such as for cross-context behavioral advertising and may be considered to “sell” personal information. To the extent that such sharing is considered a “sale” under applicable law, the categories of personal information we have “sold” and the categories of third parties we have “sold” personal information to in the preceding twelve months are listed below. To the extent that such sharing is considered a “sale” under applicable laws that extend rights to you, you may limit such sharing by following the instructions found above in the section titled, "YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS" or by Contacting Us as described in this Notice.
Notice of Financial Incentive
We may offer loyalty or other promotional programs for interested customers through which we offer discounts, promotional items, or credit in connection with your purchases. We may also sponsor other programs such as sweepstakes, contests, or other similar programs with commercial incentives (collectively “Promotional Activities”). When you sign up to participate in any of our Promotional Activities, we typically collect basic personal information such as name and contact information to administer the Promotional Activities based on their Program Terms and or other rules that you accept when enrolling or signing up for them. Because these Promotional Activities involve the collection of personal information, they may be considered a “financial incentive” program under certain Applicable State Laws. The value of any personal information you provide when signing up for any Promotional Activity is related to the value of the various benefits, perks or discounted products or services you may qualify for pursuant to such Promotional Activities, less our costs related to administering the Promotional Activities from time to time.
California Shine the Light
The California “Shine the Light” law permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those parties. If you are a California resident and wish to inquire as to whether we have disclosed any personal information to third parties that qualifies under this provision, please Contact Us.
Our Services are not directed to children under 18 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. Protecting children’s privacy online is very important to us. If you are a parent or guardian and believe your child has uploaded personal information to our site without your consent, please Contact Us. If we become aware that a child has provided us with personal information in violation of applicable law, we will delete any personal information we have collected, unless we have a legal obligation to keep it, and if applicable, terminate the child’s account.
Third-Party Websites/Applications. The Services may contain links to other websites/applications and other websites/applications may reference or link to our Services. These third-party services are not controlled by us. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen, or approve, and are not responsible for, the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. You agree that if you elect to provide personal information to third-party websites or applications encountered on our Sites or through our Services, you do so at your own risk.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
All information processed by us may be transferred, processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including, but not limited to, the United States or other countries, which may have data protection laws that are different from the laws where you live. We endeavor to safeguard your information consistent with the requirements of applicable laws but note that your personal information may be accessible to the courts and the law enforcement and national security authorities of the United States.
The files and records containing your personal information subject to the applicable data protection laws of Canada will be kept in our offices and/or on our servers or those of our service providers, and only those employees that require it for the purposes of their duties will have access to these files. If you are a resident of Quebec and wish to exercise any of your data privacy rights, please Contact Us or write to our Head of Personal Information Protection Office via email ([email protected]) or postal mail (7025 Ontario Street East, Montreal, Quebec, H1N 2B3).
If we transfer personal information which originates in the European Economic Area, Switzerland, and/or the United Kingdom to a country that has not been found to provide an adequate level of protection under applicable data protection laws, one of the safeguards we may use to support such transfer is the EU Standard Contractual Clauses.
For more information about the safeguards we use for international transfers of your personal information, please Contact Us.
CHANGES TO OUR NOTICE
We may revise this Notice from time to time in our sole discretion. If there are any material changes to this Notice, we will notify you as required by applicable law. You understand and agree that you will be deemed to have accepted the updated Notice if you continue to use our Services after the new Notice takes effect.